The Maintenance Technician works under supervision, diagnoses and makes mechanical repairs to buses and other automotive equipment.
Essential Functions / Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary:
- Checks buses for conformity according to established mechanical standards.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and makes skilled and semi-skilled repairs of mechanical defects in buses, automobiles, and related mechanical equipment.
- Performs all major mechanical repair work, maintains mechanical equipment, and performs general overhauling.
- Repairs transmissions, differentials, distributors, fuel pumps, lights, radiators, starters, generators, universal joints, and hydraulic systems.
- Installs batteries, brakes, wiring, window glass, and door handles; repairs and adjusts brakes and aligns wheels.
- Maintains records for repairs made and time worked.
- Recommends purchase of needed parts and tools.
- Operates a variety of powered vehicles.
- Drives buses as needed for repairs.
- Cleans tools and work area.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- High School or Equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years of journey level mechanic experience including general heavy equipment, automotive maintenance, repair work of advanced difficulty. Substantial experience in repairing heavy duty diesel equipment, especially buses, and completion of a recognized course in diesel mechanics is desired
- A valid Commercial Driver License with P endorsement.
- Good DMV record in accordance with agency standards.
- Possession of necessary tools to perform above duties.
- “A, B, C level” heavy-duty mechanic certification or equivalent trade school and apprentice experience.
- Heavy duty spark ignited engines, diesel and gasoline engine parts, transmissions, brake systems, air conditioning systems, air/hydraulic systems, electrical systems, and related equipment.
- Tools, precision instruments, equipment, and procedures used in the general overhaul, advanced repair, and maintenance of automotive equipment.
- Decimals and fractions commonly related to automotive repairs, tools, and parts
- Operate equipment used in repairing or servicing motorized equipment.
- Diagnose malfunctions and replace parts, remove and make advanced repairs on a variety of diesel and other automotive equipment.
- Work any shift at any agency location.
- Follow instructions.
- Read parts and repair manuals and keep accurate records on repairs made.
- Utilize automated maintenance system.
Preferred Key Competencies:
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Decision-making/problem solving skills
- Trust and credibility; having integrity
Contact Cheyenne Payne, our Human Resources Manager, at Cheyenne.email@example.com to apply.
DC Circulator is an equal opportunity employer.