The General Laborer is responsible for performing non-technical maintenance and servicing on corporation vehicles and general custodial duties on corporation vehicles, around the shop and building grounds.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing or vacuuming.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean and supply restrooms.
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Remove snow and other debris from sidewalks, driveways, parking areas.
- Setup, arrange and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare the facility for events and meetings.
- Clean, polish and dust furniture, floors, windows, mirrors, walls, and equipment.
- Steam clean and shampoo carpets.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Prepare tires for installation; mounts and demounts tires on rims and corporation vehicles; fill tires to the proper air pressure.
- Inspect and test tires to ensure conformance to standards.
- Examine and probes damage, defective or flat tires to determine the extent of damage and the feasibility of repair; recommends the disposal of non-repairable tires.
- Inventory and ensure an adequate supply of tires and related parts; requisitions/orders supplies as necessary.
Bus Service Line (Wash Rack)
- Fuel corporation vehicles.
- Top off all fluids during evening service.
- Install service alert cards and log books.
- Report all visible vehicle defects to vehicle maintenance supervisor.
- Operate corporation vehicles safely around the facility.
- Park and clean all corporation vehicles as assigned in a timely fashion.
- Mix cleaning agents such as cleaning compound, high-pressure soap powder, carbon removing compound and cleaning compound solvent with water in correct proportion for different types of cleaning operations and fill cleaning equipment with solution.
- Clean parts, subassemblies, and assemblies, engines, hulls, and turrets of corporation vehicles; of excess grease, oil, dirt, sludge, rust, corrosion and other foreign substances; using a high-pressure steam hose and detergent solution.
- Scrape off adherent grime and greasing; using a wire brush or putty knife.
- Spray vehicle body with steam and caustic compound to remove paint.
- Wash exteriors of corporation vehicles utilizing the wash rack.
- Vacuum interiors of corporation vehicles to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Clean upholstery, rugs, seats and other surfaces.
- Ensure cleanliness of corporation vehicles and verify the body, any of the wiring, installed instruments and electronic equipment are not damaged during the detailing process.
- Coordinate with service center clerk, transportation and vehicle maintenance supervisors to prepare corporation vehicles for trip assignments.
- Start corporation vehicles and line them up in the correct order.
- Enter all corporation vehicles assignments into computer tablet.
- Report equipment malfunctions to vehicle maintenance supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- High school diploma/GED is required.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to operate lubrication equipment, hoist, air compressor, battery charger, and hand/power tools.
- Ability to drive corporation vehicles around the facility.
- Ability to mix water, detergents and/or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications.
- Ability to wear effectively, protective clothing such as aprons, gloves, goggles, face shields, etc.
- Operational knowledge of mandated safety principles related to personal protective equipment, chemical hazards, lockout/tag out and general shop safety and cleanliness practices.
- Ability to keep accurate time utilizing a wristwatch.
- Ability to operate two-way communication device.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong listening skills.
- Above average decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Basic mathematical abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and manage tasks and time effectively; flexibility and adaptability are required.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors and coworkers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently with work checked on a regular basis.
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time, to kneel/bend, and to move throughout the workday, occasionally between departments and/or facilities.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good hearing, dexterity, feeling, and good eyesight, including peripheral vision.
- Ability to speak clearly.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Requires exposure to heavy machinery/equipment, excessive noise, extreme temperatures, fumes/odors, some hazardous materials, and dirt/dust.
- Must be able to pass all post-offer physical testing and be able to complete all physical job functions as defined in the Functional Job Description.
- Ability to work night and weekend work shifts and overtime on a regular basis due to assignment shifts being picked bi-annually according to the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Contact Cheyenne Payne, Human Resources Manager, at Cheyenne.email@example.com to apply.
DC Circulator is an equal opportunity employer.